The city of Dubai never ceases to surprise you. Be it the construction of the tallest building in the world (the Burj Khalifa) or developing the biggest manmade island on earth (the Palm Jumeirah), Dubai is home to some of the most amazing world records. Apart from the permanent attractions, Dubai is also known to host some of the best festivals and events every year. The Dubai Shopping Festival, Global Village, Dubai Design Week, etc. are some of the festivals that attraction millions of people from all around the world to this Emirate city. October 2021 is the month when Dubai would launch the much-awaited Dubai Expo 2020. Here is a complete guide that would tell you everything you need to know about Dubai Expo 2020.
What is Dubai Expo 2020?
The World Expo is an event that began in 1851 and is held at different places in the world, every 5 years. In 2013, Dubai won the chance to host Expo 2020. However, as the pandemic hit almost every country in the world, it was postponed for a year, and at last Dubai Expo 2020 is all set to open its doors to people on October 1’ 2021. The event would be held at Dubai’s South District and would go on till March 31’ 2021.
Dubai Expo 2020 Themes
The main theme of Dubai Expo 2020 is Connecting Minds and Creating the Future. The major aim of this event to bring different countries around the world and provide them with a platform to exhibit their technological and scientific innovations and inventions, art, and culture as well. The event also has three sub themes, which are sustainability, mobility, and opportunity. The Expo 2020 venue has a central plaza, i.e. the Al Wasl Plaza and three districts, each representing one of the sub-themes. Each one of the districts is packed with pavilions, innovations, and exhibitions based on the theme it represents.
Things to See and Do at the Dubai Expo 2020
The Dubai Expo 2020 is a long awaited event not just by the people of Dubai and UAE but by people all around the world. 192 countries would be part of Dubai Expo 2020. Moreover, for the first time in the history of exhibitions, each country would have its own pavilion. The 192 pavilions are distributed amongst the 3 districts. At each of the pavilions, you would get to see some great innovations as per the themes, experience the culture and hospitality of the place, and enjoy some delicious food as well. Here we will tell you all the things that you would be able to see and do at the Expo 2020.
As an example of Dubai’s sustainability efforts, Dubai Miracle Gardens and Green Planet Dubai showcase the emirate’s commitment to the environment. At the Sustainability District, you would see efforts and innovations implemented by countries to sustain the planet we are living in. The main attractions here are sustainable surroundings and the Hammer House. It also has a District Stage, where over 300 people can watch cultural shows, dance shows, musical performances, and theater shows. You would also get to see Brazil Pavilion, Singapore Pavilion, Netherlands Pavilion, Germany Pavilion, Czech Republic Pavilion, etc. at the Sustainability Pavilion (Terra).
The Mobility District shows how ideas, information, and goods can be exchanged easily and faster through digital connectivity. Riding in future vehicles and exploring space are some of the main attractions here. The place also has a 330-meter mobility track, where you can see the running of unique mobility devices. At the Mobility pavilion (Alif), you would see the country pavilions of Russia, Australia, Republic of Korea, etc.
Going by the name Mission Possible, the Opportunity Pavilion is where you get to meet people and countries that are providing opportunities to transform dreams and aspirations into reality. Apart from creating connections by interacting and exchanging ideas, you also get to meet and get inspired by social innovators. This district also has a Youth empowerment program, which aims at youth empowerment and skill-building. The country pavilions you would find here are Ukraine, UK, Switzerland, Monaco, Malawi, etc.
While the Dubai Expo 2020 is an opportunity to spread new ideas, innovations, and thoughts as well as enhance intercultural collaboration and communication, the event is not just about these. On the other hand, get ready to be entertained with some amazing performances and music shows as well. The Expo 2020 would host more than 60 fabulous shows every day as well as 1 major live event or show every week. You would also get to see the Emirati Opera, which includes more than 100 musicians, at this event.
The Dubai Expo 2020 would be a paradise for food lovers. Right from day 1, the event would have more than 200 food and beverage outlets spread around the place. You would get to try more than 50+ global cuisines while being part of the Expo 2020. From food trucks serving authentic flavors to menus curated by celebrity chefs, you are spoiled with options when it comes to what you want to eat at the Dubai Expo. You would find food outlets and kiosks at the country pavilions. If you are spending an entire day here, you can try out different cuisines for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time.
Major Attractions: Apart from the pavilions, performances, and the food scene, there are plenty other things that you see at the Dubai Expo 2020:
- The architecture of the place is mind-blowing. Some of the things that you must see here are the falcon-shaped pavilion (UAE’s) and the arch-inspired pavilion (Belgium’s)
- Do not miss the Al Wasl Dome, which is as huge as two Emirates Airbus A380s. It has the largest 360o projection surface, through which you would get to see several beautiful projections.
- Dubai Expo 2020 has a Garden in the Sky, which is an observation deck located 55 meters above the ground, giving you an incredible view of the entire place.
- Garden in the Sky also has Flying Park, which has rotating cabins that give 360o view of the exhibition venue.
- At Expo 2020, you would get to see the largest lift in the world, which has the capacity to carry 160 people at the same time.
- Kids can have a fun time at the Children’s Zone located inside the Sustainability Pavilion. Exploring dense forests, playing a unique pinball game, etc. are some of the best attractions for children here. Kids would also love to visit the Al Forsan Park and Salama’s Secrets as well.
Important Information about Dubai Expo 2020
Here is some important information that would help you while visiting Dubai Expo 2020:
- If you are visiting the Dubai Expo site by metro, you can take the Dubai Metro Red Line, which would take you to thee Expo Station, right outside the venue.
- RTA buses are available to and fro the Dubai Expo site. There are also special Expo Rider, i.e. public bus services that would take you to the venue free of cost.
- You can also travel to the exhibition site via taxis. It is also possible to reach the location in your own or rented vehicle. There is ample parking space at the venue to park your car safely.
- There are standard parking shuttles that would take you from the parking lot to main gates, so that you do not have to strain yourself walking too much.
- The timings of the exhibition are from 8:30 AM to 11 PM from Saturday to Wednesday and 8:30 PM to 1 PM on Thursdays, Fridays, and public holidays.
- Although it is not mandatory that visitors should have taken their Covid19 vaccinations, everyone should wear masks at all times while visiting the Dubai Expo 2020 sites.
- It is also important to maintain social distancing while visiting the venue. Hand sanitizers would be placed at various places of the venue.
- A dedicated medical team is present at the venue in case of any accidents or emergencies.
Dubai Expo 2020 is one of the most exciting things happening in Dubai in 2021. If you are intrigued by the idea of this exhibition, do not waste any more time. Book your flight tickets, get your Dubai visa, and get set to extend your horizons and have fun at the same time at Dubai Expo 2020.