Dubai is obsessed with height –it is on a spree of making towering structures that capture the attention of the world. One of the best examples of their obsession is the Burj Khalifa. When the construction of this iconic tower was completed, the entire world was filled with utter surprise since it was literally touching the sky. From its design to architecture and features, every single aspect of Burj Khalifa is a striking testimony to modern architecture and human ingenuity. This towering structure has created so much buzz ever since its construction that even a school-going kid can answer the question – which is the tallest tower in the world? Let’s delve into some interesting facts and figures about the Burj Khalifa and unlock the secrets behind this mind-blowing skyscraper.
Height that Touches the Sky:
Undoubtedly, the most staggering feature of the Burj Khalifa is its height. Standing at an astounding 828 meters (2,717 feet), it belittles any other building on the planet. If you are impressed with the height of the Empire State Building in New York, Burj Khalifa is more than twice its height. So, you can imagine how tall it is. You could see the entire Dubai from its observation deck, the highest observation deck in the world. Enjoying a panoramic view of the city from this observation deck is the must thing to do in Dubai.
What makes the Burj Khalifa draw millions of visitors to Dubai is not just its height but also its innovative architecture. You can call it the best gift of modern architecture to the world. The Burj Khalifa isn’t just tall; it’s a masterpiece of design. The architecture is a fusion of Islamic and modern influences spiralling upwards with a series of setbacks. The Y-shaped floor plan enhances the building’s stability and also provides more windows for residential units. The exterior is adorned with reflective glazing, giving it a shimmering effect under the Dubai sun.
World records held by Burj Khalifa other than the tallest tower
Burj Khalifa is a magnificent edifice with many firsts to its name. It has shown the world that there is no limit to what humans can achieve with visionary ideas, science, and technology. It has surpassed the previously held record by the KVLY-TV mast in Blanchard; North Dakota, CN Tower, Toronto; Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Chicago; and the Empire State Building in NYC in terms of the tallest building.
Standing at 828 metres (2,716.5 feet) in height, it holds the following world records:
- Tallest building and free-standing structure in the world
- Highest number of stories in the world – 160 stories
- Highest observation deck in the world
- Highest residential apartment at 385 metres
- Swiftest elevator that travels the longest vertical distance in the world
Lighting Up the Night Sky:
New Year is a special event for the world. Celebrating New Year in Dubai is a dream for one and all. If you are lucky to be in Dubai during this special moment, visit Burj Khalifa since it makes the event extra special and worth celebrating. You can enjoy the spectacular annual Dubai fireworks display that is centered around the Burj Khalifa. The fireworks display is a visual extravaganza that attracts visitors from around the globe. The entire building is draped with lighting that adds a captivating glow to the already impressive structure.
Some unique facts about Burj Khalifa
- Design: Burj Khalifa is a Y-shaped structure constructed in the shape of a flower called Hymenocallis, which is a desert flower. Unimaginable use of concrete, steel, aluminium, and glass are used in constructing the tower. Just imagine how much will 100,000 elephants and 5 Airbus A380 aircrafts can weigh. That much amount of concrete and aluminium are used for its construction.
- Observation Deck on the 148th Floor: Burj Khalifa has the highest observation deck in the world. Visitors can access the observation deck by riding the swift elevator. Burj Khalifa offers a tour booking in which visitors can access the observation deck.
- Inauguration: Burj Khalifa was inaugurated on 4th January 2010 with all the pomp and show. It held an incredible fireworks display that turned the sky into a day over the entire Dubai.
- Integration of Art: The Burj Khalifa also boasts a great collection of art comprising more than 1,000 specially commissioned pieces created by Middle Eastern and international artists.
Vertical Transportation Marvel:
You cannot walk the stairs or move from one floor to another, especially when the tower has hundreds of floors. That’s where the latest and most advanced technology comes into play. The Burj Khalifa utilizes cutting-edge technology to facilitate smooth and efficient movement within the building. It has installed high-speed elevators that can take visitors from the ground floor to the observation deck in a matter of seconds. Taking the fastest elevator in the world is exciting and no less than a mind-blowing adventure. When you book a guided tour to Burj Khalifa, you can use the elevator to reach the 148th floor and enjoy a superlative view of the city below.
The Sky is the Limit:
If the height of the structure, fastest elevator, and panoramic view of the city from the observation deck have given you hunger pangs, then head to the Atmosphere, an exclusive club on the 122nd floor where you can enjoy sumptuous meals and drinks at the world’s highest restaurant and lounge. You can enjoy an unparalleled dining experience and stunning visuals. Just book a table in advance.
Besides holding the record for the fastest elevator in the world, the elevators of Burj Khalifa have achieved the feat of covering the longest distance in the shortest time as well. These elevators cover over 1600 feet of distance vertically. Thus, occupants and officegoers of this building can reach their desired floors safely, without wasting any time.
Window Cleaning Marvel:
Burj Khalifa is a crowning jewel of Dubai’s skyline. It has a gleaming exterior that shines like a majestic beacon. To clean the exterior of a tower of this magnitude, it requires a skilled team of window cleaners. The team of window-cleaners used state-of-the-art gear such as cradles, pulleys, and ropes and pushed their limits to clean the grimy exterior. The exterior cleaning is a job that requires nerves of steel and a stomach of iron.
Guide to Visit Burj Khalifa
You can visit Burj Khalifa by booking tickets in advance. There are various ticket options that offer access to 124th or 148th floors. To avoid long queues, opt for the Burj Khalifa tour provided by a reputed tour operator who is based in Dubai and experienced in conducting tour packages.
The Burj Khalifa is a testimony to human achievement and the relentless pursuit of pushing boundaries. It is a fine example of what human ingenuity and modern-day technology can achieve when worked together. If you are planning to visitor seeking a guide to visit Burj Khalifa, remember these incredible facts and figures behind this architectural wonder. It will make your visit more fun and exciting.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
1. What are Burj Khalifa’s opening hours?
- Weekdays: 9 am to 11 pm
- Weekends: 5 am to 12 am
- Prime Hours: The busiest time but rewarding one is during the sunset from 4 pm to 6 pm as you get to enjoy a view of the city bathed in lights. At the Top Sky - This observation deck is on the 148th floor. The timing for accessing this floor is from 12 pm to 10 pm.
- Prime hours – The busiest hours are from 12 pm to 6 pm.